Everything you need to know ahead of the Reds’ European group stage opener at Anfield
LIVERPOOL their 2016 Europa League final conquerors Sevilla in the first Champions League match at Anfield for three years.
Jurgen Klopp’s men were blitzed 3-1 in Basel 16 months ago but are now arguably in better shape than Spain’s fourth best side.
When is Liverpool vs Sevilla?
The Reds take on the La Liga outfit on Wednesday, September 13.
Kick-off is at 7.45pm.
The game will be played at Anfield.
What TV channel is showing Liverpool vs Sevilla?
The game will be shown live on BT Sport 2.
Coverage will begin at 7pm and the programme will finish at 10.15pm.
Alternatively, you can keep up to date on SunSport’s live blog
What is the latest team news for Liverpool vs Sevilla?
Despite being sent off against Manchester City, Sadio Mane will be available to play in the Champions League.
Meanwhile, Nathaniel Clyne and Adam Lallana are both out of contention due to injury.
But Jurgen Klopp may choose to play Philippe Coutinho against Sevilla.
- Liverpool and Sevilla’s only previous encounter came in the final of the 2016 Europa League. The Andalucians won 3-1.
- Liverpool have won one of their eight Champions League home games against Spanish opposition (D3 L4), it was versus Real Madrid in March 2009 (4-0). However, Sevilla have lost all three of their Champions League trips to England.
- This is Liverpool’s 10th Champions League campaign, and only their second appearance in the group stages in the last eight seasons.
- In fact, Liverpool haven’t reached the knockout stages of the Champions League since 2008/09, when they were knocked out by Chelsea in the quarter-finals.
- Liverpool have won the European Cup/Champions League on five occasions, more than any other English side.
- Liverpool have won their opening group game in each of their last three Champions League appearances. However, they have failed to win any of their last five group games in the competition (D2 L3).
- Sevilla are taking part in their fifth Champions League campaign. They have gone past the group stages in three of their four previous appearances but never further than the round of 16.
- Sevilla beat Istanbul Başakşehir 4-3 on aggregate to reach this season’s Champions League group stages.
- Sevilla have only lost two of their last nine Champions League games (W5 D2).
- Liverpool beat Hoffenheim 6-3 on aggregate to reach this season’s Champions League group stages.
- Jürgen Klopp has reached the knockout stages in three of his four Champions League campaigns, all with Dortmund. He was beaten finalist in 2013.
- Only Marco Verratti (479) completed more passes than Sevilla midfielder Steven N’Zonzi (459) in last season’s Champions League group stages.
- This is Eduardo Berizzo’s first Champions League appearance as manager. He took Celta Vigo to the semi-finals of the Europa League last season in his only previous European campaign as head-coach.